We are sending this message as a reminder about changes to pages you may have access to in ConnectCarolina. Please read this information carefully as some of the information has changed from the previous email.
Information Technology Enterprise Applications takes its responsibility for securing our employees’ sensitive information (including social security numbers) very seriously. The changes we are making this week will tighten security by limiting the number of places where a social security number (SSN) is displayed and reducing the number of individuals who can see them. To secure this information, many organizations have already abandoned processes that require the use of social security number. Even Medicare is removing the SSN from Medicare insurance cards.
Beginning on Thursday, October 11 after 5:00pm, the following changes will be in place:
- Only central administrative office staff in the Registrar’s Office, Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Financial, and the PID Office will be able to see the information in the National ID/SSN field on any Student Administration pages in ConnectCarolina. If you have been using the SSN as an identifier, please work with your manager to determine other identifiers that are less sensitive.
- On the Workforce Administration > Find Existing PID > PID Fetch page, the following changes will be in place:
- Only a small number of people who have job-related duties that require it will be able to search by social security number.
- After you search for a person, the SSN field on the search results will be fully masked; you will only see asterisks in this field.
- You will not be able to export the list of search results to Excel.
- On the Workforce Administration > Find Existing PID page, you’ll only see any information in the National ID if you have been given access. Based on your access,
- you may be able to see part or all of the information in this field, and
- you may have access to create or update the information in this field.
To reiterate, if you have been using SSN as an identifier in your work, please consider changing your process to use other identifier(s). If your manager believes you have a business need to gain access to the National ID field to see social security numbers, you will need to work with your manager and use the existing access request process to request access to the Workforce Administration Pages.
We appreciate your understanding and flexibility as we work to make the information stored in ConnectCarolina even more secure. If you have any questions about these changes, you can submit a help request at help.unc.edu.
The ConnectCarolina Team
|Information | ccinfo.unc.edu
Questions | email@example.com
Training | firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe | ConnectCarolina Newsletter
Help | help.unc.edu | 962-HELP