As a follow-up to the message below that was sent out last week, we are sending this email to remind you of the changes going into the system this evening.
Along with these changes, one additional change will be going into the system at the same time. On the Review Vendor page, you will only be able to search for a vendor using that person’s PID.
In the coming weeks, we will be making similar changes to other finance pages in ConnectCarolina and will let you know when those changes are going into the system.
Thank you for your continued understanding and flexibility,
To: Anyone with Access to the Independent Contractor Pages
Send Date: Friday, October 26, 2018
Subject: Changes in Access
We are sending this message to let you know about changes to pages you may have access to in ConnectCarolina. Please read this information carefully.
Information Technology Enterprise Applications takes its responsibility for securing our employees’ sensitive information (including social security numbers) very seriously. The changes we are making this week will tighten security by limiting the number of places where a social security number (SSN) is displayed and reducing the number of individuals who can see them. To secure this information, many organizations have already abandoned processes that require the use of social security number. Even Medicare is removing the SSN from Medicare insurance cards.
Beginning on Thursday, November 1 after 5:00pm, the following changes will be in place on the UNC Campus > Independent Contractor pages:
- You will no longer see the Social Security # search field on the Find an Existing Value tab.
- You will no longer see the SSN field in the Search Results.
- The Social Security # field on the Independent Contractor form will be fully masked; you will only see asterisks in this field.
- If you are adding a new independent contractor, after you enter the Social Security Number in the Social Security # field and tab out of the field, the entire Social Security Number will be masked.
- Only a small number of people in Central Offices with job-related duties that require it will be able to see the social security number on these pages. A justification form will be required for this access.
To reiterate, if you have been using SSN as an identifier in your work, please consider changing your process to use other identifier(s).
We appreciate your understanding and flexibility as we work to make the information stored in ConnectCarolina even more secure. If you have any questions about these changes, you can submit a help request at help.unc.edu.
The ConnectCarolina Team
|Information | ccinfo.unc.edu
Questions | firstname.lastname@example.org
Training | email@example.com
Subscribe | ConnectCarolina Newsletter
Help | help.unc.edu | 962-HELP