A Single Source of Finance Actuals for Reports in InfoPorte
Beginning on August 13, 2018, all reports in InfoPorte will take their actuals (that is, expenses and revenue) from the General Ledger (GL) Actuals ledger. Only budget-related data, such as budgeted amounts, pre-encumbrances, and encumbrances will come from the Commitment Control (KK) ledgers. This means we’ll have a single source for our actuals: the GL Actuals Ledger, our “book of record.”
Pulling financial information from both the KK ledgers and the GL Actuals ledger has caused confusion and added complexity to our reporting. For example, the Office of Sponsored Research primarily uses actuals from the GL, while up to now, campus has used numbers primarily from KK. After this change, all reports in InfoPorte will take their actuals (that is, expenses and revenue) from the GL Actuals ledger. Only budget-related data, such as budgeted amounts, pre-encumbrances, and encumbrances will come from the KK ledgers. This means we’ll have a single source for our actuals: the GL Actuals Ledger, our “book of record.”
After this change, we’ll have
- A true “Budget to Actuals” balance, since the budget is coming from the KK ledgers and the actuals are coming from the GL Actuals ledger.
- Easier reconciliation for sponsored research projects. OSR uses information from the GL Actuals ledger for reporting to sponsors, so when InfoPorte starts pulling from the same ledger, you’ll be looking at the same numbers as OSR. As a bonus, the PI Dashboard already uses the GL Actuals ledger for expenses.
- The “GL Activity” tab will be called the “All GL Activity” tab.
- On the Transactions tabs, you will see “Actuals” for all of the expenses and revenue, instead of the KK ledger names.
- On the Ledger Rollups tabs – Main Ledger, you’ll see that the Revenue/Expenses and Rev/Exp MTD columns have been replaced with Actuals and Actuals MTD.
- On the Ledger Rollups tabs – OSR Ledger, you’ll see that the Expenses LTD, Expenses YTD, and Expenses MTD columns have been replaced with Actuals LTD, Actuals YTD and Actuals MTD
- Since actuals, that is expenses and revenue, will now be pulling directly from the GL Actuals ledger, the “Recon Ready?” checkmark is being removed from the reports. The actuals are ready to be reconciled as soon as they appear on the InfoPorte Reports.
Reports and Queries Being Removed
As we reviewed reports and queries impacted by this project, we found a number of reports and queries that aren’t widely used or that showed information that was easily found in another report. To reduce confusion, we are removing these rarely used reports. The table below shows the reports that are being removed and where you will be able to find the information those reports showed.
|If you used...||You can find the same information in...|
|C&G Expenditures – Summary Report||The Main Ledgers and Transactions tabs.|
|C&G Expenditures – Account Level Report||The Main Ledgers and Transactions tabs.|
|Ledger Group Drilldown Report – All Ledgers Report||The Main Ledgers and Transactions tabs.|
|The Source List Reports||The Main Ledgers and Transactions tabs.|
|FAMODET Report||The Main Ledgers tabs.|
|NC_CPS_KK_DEPT_SUM||The Main Ledgers tabs.|
|NC_CPS_KK_PROJECT_SUM||The OSR Ledger and Grant Profile tabs.|
|NC_CPS_KK_SOURCE_ACCT_SUM||The Main Ledgers tabs.|
|NC_CPS_KK_STATE||The Main Ledgers tabs.|
The following queries: NC_CPS_KK_SOURCE_FUND_DEPT and NC_CPS_KK_SOURCE_FUND_SUM are not widely used and will no longer be available when the changes go into the system.