HR/Payroll Upgrade to PeopleSoft 9.2
ConnectCarolina keeps moving forward! The ConnectCarolina HR/Payroll system is moving to an upgraded software version. You may remember that the Student Administration application made the move in October, 2017, and the Finance upgrade may occur before the end of 2018.
Check out the tabs below to find out the “what” and the “why” of the system upgrade.
If you use the HR/Payroll application, expect to see a few minor screen changes when you log in to the ConnectCarolina HR/Payroll pages on March 5. Check out the “What will be different?” tab below.
TWO THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
When is this happening?
Upgrading requires a complete outage of ConnectCarolina. We try to schedule ConnectCarolina outages when most people are not using the system. In this case the transition to the upgraded system happens the weekend of March 2 – March 5.
How does this affect me?
There is an All ConnectCarolina Outage on Friday, March 2 from 5:00 pm until Monday, March 5, 7:00 am.
All Connect Carolina applications (HR/Payroll, Student Administration and Finance) will be unavailable. Click on the tabs below for detailed information on which systems are affected.
Update: Sunday, March 4, 8:00 AM: ConnectCarolina is back online.
UPDATE: March 6, 2018 8:00 AM
The software upgrade will enable ConnectCarolina to take advantage of new software features in the future – such as a new look and feel that is simpler to use, reduces clicks and translates to any mobile device.
The upgrades ensure UNC will be able to receive continuing vendor support for ConnectCarolina including important security updates.
The updates reduce accessibility barriers that make it difficult for many people with disabilities to use ConnectCarolina.
Most changes are behind-the-scenes, but you may notice some screen changes such as:
- More muted color palette
- Some fields have longer descriptions
- Screens have a wider layout
- Field labels will be aligned differently
- There are some changes that are specific to a person’s role in the system and the screens that they can access. If you are affected by any of these changes, you will receive an email with more details.
- Human Resource Representatives will have access to funding information on jobs and position data pages.
Impacts of the Outage by System
All of the applications that you access through the portal will be unavailable. The portal is the webpage that you usually see after you click on the green buttons: Login to ConnectCarolina Student Center or Login to ConnectCarolina and InfoPorte (Faculty, staff & alumni)
- W-2 forms cannot be accessed during the outage. We realize that the ConnectCarolina outage occurs during tax preparation season so if you need the online version of your W-2 or your paystubs, please download them before 5:00 pm on Friday, March 2.
TIM and Viewing Paychecks
- Faculty, staff and student employees will not be able to use the Self-Service functions such as View Paycheck during the outage.
- The TIM system will be available, but you will not be able to access it using the link in ConnectCarolina. If you need to use TIM during the outage, go to https://unctim.unc.edu/employee.
- ePro orders cannot be placed or changed during the outage since they are part of the ConnectCarolina Finance system.
- Airgas orders after 5:00 pm on Friday, March 2 can be placed by emailing the ANWMorrisvilleAdministration@airgas.com, which is routed to Teresa Suggs (919-544-3772 ext 311) or Jason Newhouse (919-544-3772 ext 312). Airgas will handle the orders over the outage period and work through the technical process after Connect Carolina is back up and running.
- InfoPorte and SAS Visual Analytics reports will be available during the outage weekend with data current as of Thursday, March 1. The data you will see on Monday morning, March 5, will still be current only through March 1. Data will be refreshed Monday evening (March 5) and data will be current as on March 5 on Tuesday morning.
- The ConnectCarolina reporting instance (accessed using the Ad Hoc Reporting (RPT) menu option) will not be available for HR/Payroll component and will be down an additional day, coming back up Tuesday, March 6th.
Companion systems such as PeopleAdmin and LawLogix will be available, but they will not be able to pull information from or send information to ConnectCarolina until the upgrade is complete.
- HCM RPT environment will not be available until Tuesday, March 6.
- Position creations and updates approved and executed in ConnectCarolina after 2:00 p.m. on Friday, March 2 will not be available in PeopleAdmin until Monday, March 5.
- New hires, terminations and department changes executed in ConnectCarolina after 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 1 will not be available in LawLogix until Monday, March 5.
- New hires and terminations executed in ConnectCarolina after 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 1 will not be available in BenefitsFocus until Monday, March 5.
- Affiliate Request
These companion systems will not be available during the outage:
- Web Travel
- Unit Accounting System (UAS)
- Vendor Invoice Submission Page (VISP)
- Customer Billing Management (CBM) and Bill Presentation
The ConnectCarolina Student Center will be down.
These companion systems will not be available during the outage:
- TouchNet (students and third party proxies cannot pay bills; applicants cannot pay enrollment deposits)
- Parent proxies to view student data
- The CarolinaGO mobile app
- Other external vendor sites such as Credentials, Coursicle, CollegeScheduler will also be down during this outage.
During the outage, you will not be able to:
- Create or change an Onyen or Guest ID or change your password
- Update your listing in the online directory to include emergency contact and phone number for Alert Carolina
- PID Create
- PID Inquiry
- CPPSReg – Credit Program Registration
- PDEPReg – Professional Development Registration
- CEU – Continuing Education Units
- FCCPS -Friday Center Central Processing
New Features and Functionality
Available to Campus HR Reps and selected Central Office users.
The organizational charts in ConnectCarolina allow you to see the reporting structure for employees at the University. You can change the focus of the org chart to move up or down the reporting structure, as necessary. Besides the organizational relationship for reach employee on the chart, you can see his or her email address, phone number, and business address. You can also export the org chart to Excel or Visio.
Prior to the upgrade, there was one selection for Performance Documents which contained only historical documents. You will now see two links:
- Performance – Historical Docs: this link reflects completed performance documents, such as the 2016-2017 overall ratings.
- Performance – Current Docs: this link reflects performance documents that are in progress. Currently, only departments participating in the pilot program will have current documents.
The Manager WorkCenter has been updated. The biggest change here is we’ve combined the external links (policies and forms) into SHRA Performance Management Guidance. There is a second Performance Management folder (Pilot) accessible by departments who will be participating in the pilot program for 2018 – 2019 that takes a look at additional Performance Management features.
For Questions or Problems
Contact the Service Desk at 919-962-HELP or help.unc.edu. Outage notifications will be posted on the ConnectCarolina landing page (the page you see when you go to connectcarolina.unc.edu and on the home page of ConnectCarolina