Skip to main content
Resource Categories:
Version Date: November 5, 2020

Transfer vs. Terminations


 Knowing when to transfer an employee versus when to terminate an employee is an important distinction in ConnectCarolina with pay, benefits, and potential compliance implications.


  • If an employee is moving from one job/position to another within the same department or to a new department without a break in service, the receiving department should submit a Transfer action via the Hire an Employee ePAR.

Things to keep in mind with transfers:

  • If the employee should be paid out leave, enter the Applied Termination Codes into TIM based on the effective date of the transfer and based on deadlines on the Payroll calendar. TIM information is fed over in real time so closely monitor leave accruals and leave payouts.
  • If the employee is moving from SHRA to EHRA OR from EHRA to SHRA, both departments should closely monitor employee pay and information in TIM and submit a Service Request for any needed pay corrections when reviewing preliminary payroll.
  • The receiving department HR Rep should first double check the end dates for the employee in the current (or exiting) department before submitting the hire/transfer ePAR. If the transfer is for a student job and the current department needs to extend the current student job where there will be an overlap in employment dates, then process a hire rather than a hire/transfer.
  • If the student is on a Short Work Break, the student must be returned from Short Work Break before a transfer is done, since the hire/transfer action will not update their status to active in Payroll. If the current department will reemploy the student, then process a hire rather than a hire/transfer and the primary job will terminate based on the Expected End Date.

There are exceptions to transferring:

  1. If an employee is leaving due to Retirement, then there must be a clean break from ALL employment instances for a retirement to occur and be reported out to the State Retirement Program correctly. Therefore, all active jobs must be terminated. Note: If the employee is a retired faculty who will be hired into an adjunct appointment, process as a rehire.
  2. If the employee is moving from a Contingent Worker appointment (Faculty Zero Base, no intent to pay OR Post Doc – External Payroll) to an Employee job (or vice versa), such as Intermittent faculty or Post Doc Trainee, then Termination and Hire ePARs are necessary because transfers cannot occur between these employee types.

Transferring an employee is done via the Hire an Employee ePAR. The difference on a transfer vs. a hire is checking the Edit Existing Job box on a transfer and leaving the field blank on a hire.

Here is a screenshot:

Important: When transferring an employee from one job to another via the Hire ePAR, move down the ePAR form and complete fields in the order they appear and complete all fields before selecting the Edit Existing Job checkbox on the first page. When this box is selected out of order, it causes Primary/Secondary and compensation issues.

Once the Edit Existing Job is selected, the ePAR will pull in and list active job rows for the employee. Select the job row that you intend to move the employee from into the new job.

Tip: When you are entering information on the first page of the ePAR and you realize have made an error (for example: the incorrect Effective Date was used) best practice is to close the ePAR and start again.


Terminate (rather than transfer)

  • If there is a break in service between jobs, then the current department would submit a Change Employment Status ePAR to terminate. After the action has executed the receiving department would submit a Hire/Rehire action.
  • If the employee is retiring from a permanent job. A termination is needed even if they will continue to work in a temporary job after retirement.
  • If the employee is severing the relationship with UNC-CH.
  • If the employee is moving from an employee type with no intend to pay to an employee type with intent to pay OR vice versa, such as moving from CWR (Faculty Zero Base, no intent to pay OR Post Doc – External Payroll) to an Intermittent Faculty or Post Doc Trainee.

Please note: Weekends are not considered a break in service.

Student/Temporary jobs: When terminating an SHRA student/temporary job, use an effective date within the current bi-weekly unless you need to enter a retro date for compliance reasons (i.e. for work authorization, student graduated, etc). Entering a date one or multiple pay cycles in the past can create an unintended employment gap on secondary jobs. Use the UNC Employee Information in the Person Data folder from the HR WorkCenter to view secondary jobs.