“2-Step” or “2-Factor” Verification protects you and the University by requiring you to provide an additional piece of information after you enter your password to verify that “you’re you.”
Your credentials are valuable to criminals and other unauthorized users, and they’ve increased their efforts to compromise you and the University through phishing emails. 2-Step can keep the bad guys out even if they get your username and password through a phishing attempt.
2-Step is quickly becoming the standard for business and education and you may already be using 2-Step to access your banking information or Gmail account.
Password + Proof = Access
How will 2-Step change your ConnectCarolina experience?
- As time goes on, more ConnectCarolina functionality will be protected with 2-Step. When you will be asked to complete 2-Step will depend on what you use ConnectCarolina for.
- When you click to access that portion of ConnectCarolina, you will:
- Be prompted with a button to “Verify with 2-Step.”
- Receive a code or notification to your phone via text, mobile app or voice call to confirm your access request.
Services already requiring 2-step:
- Online W-2 access
- Campus VPN
- Several systems used by IT Staff
Use the buttons below to learn more about how 2-Step affects ConnectCarolina.
2-step is required to access Student Financials.
- Starting February 15, 2018, 2-Step will add another layer of security to access Student Financial information, including direct deposit accounts for student refunds.
- We understand that some students share their Onyen and passwords with their parents, but with 2-Step, parents won’t be able to get in unless they have access to their student’s mobile phone. Students need to set their parents up as a Proxy/Authorized User so that they aren’t required to use 2-Step.
- Your tax year 2017 W-2 is available from the self-service menu on the ConnectCarolina home page. Remember that you’ll need to register for and then use 2-Step verification to access your online W-2. The registration process only happens once, but you’ll need to use 2-Step Verification every time you need to access your W-2 online.
- An advantage of accessing your W-2 form online is that you can print and use it sooner than the paper version issued in late January by Payroll Services.
- Paper W-2s are still available through Payroll and will continue to be for 2017. Important: Opting into 2-Step Verification does not opt you out of a paper copy.
- February 15, 2018: Required for Student Financials in ConnectCarolina
- February 20, 2018: Opt-in period for Office 365 begins for students, faculty and staff
- Late Spring 2018: Required for students, faculty, and staff who have access to any ConnectCarolina options outside of those included under SelfService. (Note: Access to SelfService / W-2 forms continues to be protected with 2-Step.)
- March 21, 2018: Required for students in Office 365
- Fall 2018: Required for faculty/staff in Office 365
- Do I have to have a smartphone to verify my identity?No, you can use any cell phone, a tablet, or even a landline phone.
- Do I have to install anything to start verifyingWe recommend that you use an app on your smartphone or tablet to verify, but you don’t have to. You can also verify using a text message or phone call.
- I've been locked out--what do I do?If you try to verify three times and are not successful, you will need to contact 919-962-HELP to have your account unlocked so you can try again.
- I'm set up to verify using my smartphone, but I left my phone at home today. What do I do?If you need to verify often, we recommend that you set up more than one device. You can set up a landline phone or a tablet in addition to your mobile phone. That way, if you forget one device, you still have a way to verify. If you didn’t register more than one device, you need to contact 919-962-HELP(4357) for a temporary passcode.
- I no longer have the phone that I set up to verify with. What do I do?You can remove all devices ( on the DuoSecurity Self-Registration screen; ITS employees (and some other groups) do not see this screen) when you login to Register & Manage 2-Step Verification and then you can register another device.
For more FAQs and to troubleshoot complex issues, ITS has extensive documentation on 2-step.Open the ITS 2-Step Help Page
- Pit “Pop In”
- When: Monday, February 12, 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm. Look for the 2-Step Information table outside of Lenoir Hall.
- Stop by and pick up information about Student Financials and 2-Step.
- Pit “Pop In” #2
- Learn how and when to 2-Step and grab some swag!
- Wednesday, March 7, Come see us at our info table in the Pit from noon to 2 pm (Raining? Come see us at the Undergraduate Library.)
Learn how and when to 2-Step and pick up some swag! (Click on News You Can Use for more information.)