Access Request Process Updates: 2022 – 2023
The ConnectCarolina team is launching a two-phase initiative to enhance the Access Request process. The first phase involves adjusting the current process. We will adjust both the access request forms and the Access Request Tool in InfoPorte. The second phase involves, potentially, a wholesale change to the process with the addition of some level of automation.
At a high level, during phase one, we will be:
- Changing the order of the roles in the Access Request Tool so they match the order displayed on the access request forms.
- Changing the role names that you see listed under the Access Request > Reporting tab in InfoPorte so they match what is listed on the security audit.
- Cleaning up and “bundling” individual roles into position-based roles. This means that instead of having to request multiple roles to do a task in ConnectCarolina, you’ll request one role that will grant all access needed to complete the task. The ConnectCarolina Finance campus roles already work like this (for example, budget journals and budget transfers).
- Updating the access request forms as roles are cleaned up and bundled.
- Consolidating some hard-copy forms (for example, the three Finance forms will be consolidated into one form).
Timeline – Changes Released Monthly
We’re going to release changes once a month. We will document all the changes on this webpage so you may want to bookmark it. Before we release changes, we’ll send you an email letting you know what the changes are. Then we’ll update this webpage so you can refer to the current changes and those put in place in previous months.
We will provide further information about the phase two changes when we have a plan in place.
Access Request Process Updates: CURRENT RELEASE – September 15, 2022
Updated order of roles in the Access Request Tool
To streamline entry of the access requests, we’ve updated the order of the roles for all pillars (Finance, HR/Payroll, and Student Administration) to match the order they appear on the Access Request Forms.
New statuses when a saved request is missing home department or Onyen
In August, we changed the Access Request Tool to allow you to save a request when there’s no home department or Onyen assigned. In this release, we’re updating the status options to let you know what is missing once you’ve saved the request. The request will say “Pending ID” or “Pending Dept” or “Pending ID/Dept.” Once both the department and Onyen are available, the system will automatically update the request and the status will change to “Draft” and you’ll be able to submit the request. (Keep in mind that if you’ve saved any requests and then submit them, the system will show the request as “Resubmitted” even though it’s the first time you’ve submitted the request.)
New fields in the Access Request Details section
We’ve added a “Target User Onyen” field and a “Target User Home Dept” that you will see when reviewing an access request from your Inbox or from the Reporting page in the Access Request Tool. You can review these fields to find out what information is missing from a request. You’ll only be able to submit a request once the Onyen and Home Department are filled in.
In the Access Request Tool:
- the data level access section has been removed. The use of this section varies by pillar which has made it difficult for approvers. The data level access sections will remain on the paper forms. Approvers and ITS EA Security team will refer to the paper forms to determine the requested access.
- an updated error message when the department or Onyen is missing for the person you’re requesting access for. The new message will be in red letters, above the Request Type field.
- you have the ability to save a request that is missing the department or Onyen. You will be able to fill out the request and save it in your InfoPorte inbox until the department or Onyen have been filled in by the system. The submit button will be active when the department and Onyen are filled in. You will need to open the request from your InfoPorte Inbox to see if the request is ready to be submitted.
Note: We are working on an enhancement to the status column that will let you know, without opening the request, if the request is ready to be submitted. We expect to release that enhancement within the next two months.
- The “For New and Prospective Students” menu option has been removed from the Get Access menu. This reduces the number of menu options to only those options that are actively used.
- The student admin roles page has been updated to reflect the roles that are listed on the Student Administration Request for Access paper form. The required training is listed at the top of each section.