Online Employee Tax Forms
2-Step Verification Before You Access Your W-2 Form
To keep sensitive information (like your social security number) safe, the University uses a security method called “2-Step Verification.” This method asks you to verify that “you’re you” before letting you see your W-2 in ConnectCarolina. The first step is to create an account for yourself—you only need to do this once.
To access and print W-2s from ConnectCarolina SelfService, you will be required to use 2-Step Verification. To register for 2-Step Verification you will need to:
- Go to onyen.unc.edu and click “Register & Manage 2-Step Verification”
- Have your mobile device or landline phone with you
- Have your PID
- Have your Onyen and password
- Follow the steps to select and confirm your preferred 2-Step method (a text message, landline phone call or a “push” notification)
More information about 2-Step Verification is provided:
- Quick reference cards about getting started with 2-Step Verification, instructions for registering a new phone, FAQs and more are at help.unc.edu/help/duo.
- A video to learn about 2-Step Verification.
- If you have technical problems viewing or printing your W-2, contact the Help Desk at 962-HELP.
Then you’ll follow a few more steps each time you need to access your W-2. See the How to Find Your W-2 Online job aid documents below.
Accessing Online W-2 Forms
Active employees can view and print their 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 W-2 forms any time using the ConnectCarolina SelfService menu. Note: Employees can view or print only their own personal tax forms.
Additionally, former (i.e., inactive) employees will continue to receive paper W-2s via U.S. mail, and also have the option of accessing 2015 and onward W-2s via a guest account (Guest ID) in ConnectCarolina. Instructions can be found at help.unc.edu/help/onyens-guest-ids/.
Follow the job aid instructions below to access your W-2. We have developed the W-2 FAQs as a tool to help answer many of the frequently asked questions concerning W-2s.
In January 2018, all employees will receive a printed W-2 for tax year 2017, and will have access to their personal 2017 W-2 using the SelfService menu.
Benefits of the self-service option:
- Active employees can access and print their W-2s at any time, 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The functionality can be especially useful for employees who need to access their W-2 information in a timely manner when applying for personal loans.
- The electronic W-2 is just as official as the paper version you normally receive from Payroll Services – no special paper is needed.
If you have problems viewing or printing your W-2, contact the Help Desk. If you want a paper W-2 printed for you, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online W-2s will be available when they are issued. W-2s for years prior to 2014 will not be available on ConnectCarolina.
Job Aid: How to Find Your W-2 Online
We have developed the W-2 FAQs as a tool to help answer many of the frequently asked questions concerning W-2s.
W-4s and NC-4s
You can now view your current withholding forms for federal and state of North Carolina taxes, and you can make changes to these forms via the Self Service menu on the ConnectCarolina home page. If you have problems accessing the forms, contact the Help Desk. Contact Payroll Services at email@example.com if you are unable to update your W-4 or NC-4 after working with the Help Desk.
Note: Employees can view or print only their own personal tax forms.
The online availability to view and change your own tax withholding status is part of the University’s efforts to increase electronic options for employees using ConnectCarolina Self Service.
The amount of federal and state of North Carolina withholding taxes you pay is based on the information you provide on your W-4 and NC-4 withholding certificates and the amount of your taxable earnings. You can now access your current forms and make and submit updates online, which means quicker and more convenient updates to the university’s payroll system. The online process will replace managing changes using the paper form. You can submit updates relating to:
- amount of personal allowances claimed
- marital status
- additional withholding amount
See below for the official memo announcing the online availability of tax forms and a set of instructions on how to find and update your NC-4 or W-4 online. You are encouraged to share, print and display these instructions in any area as appropriate for your staff.