- Send Date: October 30, 2020
- From: ConnectCarolina Communications on behalf of: Janet Rupert, Director, Accounts Payable and Vendor Services, Independent Contractor Vendor Managers
- To: Anyone with Access to Request Suppliers and Independent Contractors in ConnectCarolina
- Subject: Speaker Checklist Form Update
Each year, the University brings in quite a number of guest speakers to address students and participate in forums across campus. During remote instruction, hiring guest speakers has become an increasingly popular way to enhance online learning.
To help speed up the process of hiring a guest speaker to present to our campus community, the Accounts Payable team has worked with ITS to further enhance and broaden the stream-lined version of the Independent Contractor form, 708.3.1f Speaker Checklist Form (available Monday, October 19). Most significantly, speaking engagements have been lengthened to one week (from one day), and speakers can perform multiple separate speaking engagements during the calendar year.
This change to the process is effective October 19, 2020.
Departments can opt to use this form for hiring an independent contractor who meets the following requirements:
- The speaking engagement lasts no more than one week.
- The honorarium does not exceed $5,000.
- The speaker is a US person who can provide an IRS form W-9 with the speaker checklist.
708 – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Policy on Independent Contractor
708.3 – Procedure on Requesting and Paying a Speaker.
For more information and FAQs, see the Updated! IC Speaker Form webpage.
View the email in its original format – Speaker Checklist Form Update